Saturday 5 December 2015

Snow Capped Fairy Cakes... Melted... Apparently

Let me start by saying I certainly won't be entering Bake Off 2016 with tonights' efforts...

I really fancied baking some festive cupcakes today and came across this BBC Good Food Recipe. 




What you will need: 

175g Butter 
175g Golden Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
200g Self-Raising Flour
Finely Grated Zest 1 Orange
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Tablespoon Milk
For the Icing:
1 Egg White
4 Tablespoon Orange Juice
175g Icing Sugar
Decoration For Fairy Cakes 

Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases (I made 17 although the recipe says 18). 
Combine all cake ingredients and spoon evenly into cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. 




I found the icing to be to really difficult - I went wrong somewhere, even though the recipe says it is "moderately easy!" Put the egg white and orange juice in a heat proof bowl and sift in icing sugar and set pan on a pan of simmering water. With an electric hand whisk, whisk for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and then whisk for a further 2 minutes. 


My favourite part - decorating! :D
  Overall I did think it was a fun recipe to do but I just need to practise on the snowy icing. If you try the recipe I'd love to see if your icing came out better than mine use the #sophiesfairycakes on Twitter and Instagram.


Lots of Love, 

Sophie x

2 comments:

  1. Yum! These take me back to childhood, but I have to say, I still love a fairy cake and I'm quite tempted to make some now! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do bake them, I'd love to see your fairy cakes :) xx

      Delete